Sunday, October 25, 2009

My First Fondant Cake...

One of my friends asked me to make a cake for for her mom's 50th birthday party. I was immediately concerned because the colors for the party were black with red accents, and nobody wants to eat black and red icing and dye their mouth. So, I decided to try something new... fondant.


Fondant is a sugar dough that is rolled out and laid over the cake. It makes a smooth finish that you can pipe or paint on, or cut out pieces of fondant and stick it to itself. I looked on-line and found a marshmallow fondant recipe that was easy to make and tasted pretty good. It's a fine line between too little and too much powdered sugar, so Barry had to come in and help me get it just perfect. Once we got the right consistency, it was pretty easy... although a super mess. Here's the cake covered and one of our disaster areas...




I would have preferred coloring the fondant for the base of the cake red or black, but adding that much color to anything is always a challenge, so I decided to do a white cake with black and red accents. Here I am kneading some red into a ball of fondant and a look at another disaster zone...


And pretending like I'm mauling an animal...
I'm glad I decided to make a white cake because the red and black were really difficult to work with after I colored them dark enough.

I wanted to make a sugar ribbon to go on the cake, but decided to live to fight another a day instead. So, I attached some real ribbon on it to jazz it up...


And, here is the finished product! The circles I cut out of fondant and stuck them on. Then I piped all the writing. I was super happy with how it turned out for my first attempt at fondant. I look forward to making many more cakes!


I started another little blog to follow my cake adventures. Check it out if you have a chance to see all my other cakes and help me pick a clever name for my cake venture!

http://brauchicakes.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That is seriously impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fab cake!!! you could start your own little business with that :)
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete