Monday, March 8, 2010

Cowboy Cake...

I made a cake last week for one of our friend's little boy's first birthday party. It was a Cowboy Cake. I got the basic idea from the internet, and then altered somethings to make it suit out situation better. This is the top tier. Piping the bandanna pattern on the side was every bit as hard as I anticipated it would be. The icing just wants to fall down. It was especially difficult when doing the lines that curved down. Next time, I'll have to figure out a way to tilt to cake. It still turned out cute as a whole...

Here are some of the pieces parts. I made horseshoes from fondant and set them out to dry over night...

Here is the cake stacked. Barry was a big help with several of the steps. He did all the scratching up of the rope border! This just shows a little bit of the mess that goes along with working with fondant...


Here is a close up of the side details once the cake was finished...

I made a little cowboy hat and a sheriff's badge to go along with the horse shoes for the top...


I think it turned out super cute, and everyone at the party really seemed to enjoy it. It was a little nerve wrecking to be at the party with the cake, but luckily, everyone was nice and said they liked it. (and one even asked me to make a cake for her daughter's birthday!) I had so much fun making it and spending time with Barry who graciously did alot of the helper work and cleanup for me! I think the next cake on my list is Leslie's birthday party, time permitting!!

1 comment:

  1. i want to be just like you when i grow up. that cake is amazing!

    ReplyDelete